Thursday, September 17, 2009

Recipe Box

Redoing my recipe box has been on my to do list for quite some time. I finally got around to doing it. I used to put all my recipes in a big binder, but I decide quite some time ago that I liked having them printed up on 4 x 6 note cards. I figure it is easier to carry around one card then to carry around a whole notebook. Plus I like that I can keep the file on my computer and just print up the recipes for anyone who asks.
I reprinted all my recipe cards (I deleted all the recipes I haven't used for a while) and laminated them. Now I can just wipe them clean if I get food on them. Then I got scrap book paper and traced around the dividers I already had. I cut them out and laminated them. Then I stuck a label on them. I put the label on top of the laminated divider, so I could remove them if I wanted to change my categories later without having to make new dividers. I think I got the box at Target, but it could have been Walmart.
To make my original dividers I just used Manila folders to get the shape of the tabs, and a 4 x 6 note card to get the size. Once I cut out my initial dividers I just traced around them on the left over Manila folder to get the remaining dividers I needed.
After I finished with my recipe box I made this little holder to go along with it. Now I can just pull out all the recipes I need for the week and put them in here. I just need to put a magnet on the back and figure out where to put it. I have a stainless steel refrigerator, so I can't put it on the fridge. I used this tutorial to make the recipe card holder. If you are interested they also have a 30 meal plan that is pretty cool. Check it out.

1 comment:

Kitty said...

You are a ROCK star.
hugs,
Kat